In 1925, Israel (then Palestine) was under the British Mandate and Tel Aviv was
just emerging from the old city of Jaffa, when the two
Hirshberg Brothers (Avraham and Yakov) opened a small chemical shop in
this new developing commercial area.
Within a short period of time, Tel Aviv became the business center of Palestine.
The main trade in the 1920's was food additives as well as products for the agricultural
and pharmaceutical sectors.
As early as 1930 the company was stocking materials purchased from the U.S.A. and
Europe, and distributing them to local customers.
In 1934 Hirshberg Brothers
received its first significant agency, becoming the sole agent of Monsanto Chemicals
in Palestine. A year later, Hercules Chemicals was the next leading company to appoint us as their
Hirshberg Brothers became
synonymous with being a leading supplier to all the developing industries - including
chemical, pharmaceutical and food.
The company continued to grow during World War II in spite of delivery problems,
and became a major stockist and distributor to the local market.
In 1953 the partners of Hirshberg Brothers
went through a major reorganization, and registered
Hirshberg Brothers & Co. Chemicals Ltd . as an incorporated Company.
At the same time, the other partnership handling Machinery was registered as Hirshberg Brothers & Co.
Machinery Ltd., and the partnership handling Medical Instrumentation was registered
as Levant X-Ray Ltd.
In the 1970's Hirshberg Brothers
& Co. Chemicals was split into independent business units, each specializing
in a specific industrial segment; e.g. Chemical Industry, Pharmaceuticals, Food
Industry, Feed Industry, Cosmetic & Personal Care Industry, Plastics & Coatings,
For each of the above industrial sectors, we have specialized sales & technical
In all sectors, Hirshberg Brothers
& Co. Chemicals continues to represent and distribute from stock materials from